Nikon Coolpix P900 Digital Bridge 83x Optical Zoom Camera: Black
Part Exchange & Trade InClick here for a quote
Need some more questions answered? Enquire about this product
Keen photographers of wildlife and the night sky will be delighted by the Nikon COOLPIX P900, which boasts an incredible 83x optical zoom, capturing details not visible to the naked eye. Shoot a level of detail you'd never thought possible with the 83x optical zoom, extendable to 166x Dynamic Fine Zoom, with a fast reaction time due to rapid AF and reduced shooting time lag. Never lose a fast-moving subject in the wild, thanks to a Snap-back zoom button next to the zoom control that will instantly help you recapture your subject by taking you back to wide-angle focus.
83x Optical Zoom
24-2000mm f2.8-f6.5 bright lens
16-megapixel CMOS sensor
Full HD movie recording
Dual Detect Optical VR
Wi-Fi with NFC
1. A high-performance 83x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that supports super-telephoto shooting at the equivalent of up to 2000 mm (equivalent focal length in 35mm format; up to 166x* with Dynamic Fine Zoom)
The P900 is equipped with an ultra high-power 83x optical zoom NIKKOR lens that covers the wide-angle 24 mm to super-telephoto 2000 mm angles of view (equivalent focal lengths in 35mm (135) format). The optics built into the lens include a Super ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lens element that enables superior compensation for chromatic aberration. It also maintains a fast maximum aperture of f/6.5 at the maximum telephoto position for sharp and clear images, even with super-telephoto shooting. In addition, it is equipped with Dynamic Fine Zoom, which enables 166x* zoom with which resolution is preserved throughout the digital zoom range, and it also supports macro photography of subjects as close as 1 cm to the lens. The P900 supports capture of images exhibiting superior image quality not only when the subject is very far away, but also when it is right in front of the camera. The P900 also offers Moon and Bird-watching scene modes effective with super-telephoto photography. Use of these scene modes allows users to leave all of the work up to the camera when capturing such subjects, with which exposure settings can be difficult to choose and apply, for simple super-telephoto photography.*At the maximum image size.
2. Dual Detect Optical VR that provides compensation for camera shake equivalent to a 5.0-stop* increase in shutter speed
With adoption of the new Dual Detect Optical VR, the P900 achieves the highest level of camera shake compensation, equivalent to a 5.0-stop* increase in shutter speed, available with a Nikon compact digital camera. This function calculates the amount of camera shake with even greater precision with a new VR algorithm that uses two types of information with calculation - camera shake information detected by the angular velocity sensor, and information regarding the direction and amount of camera shake (motion vector) calculated based on image information. This significantly increases the accuracy of camera shake compensation. *Measured in accordance with CIPA standards at approx. 350mm (equivalent focal length in 35mm (135) format).
3. A shooting time lag that ensures certain capture of any photo opportunity
Users of the P900 can rest assured that they won't miss another photo opportunity with a shooting time lag of approximately 0.12 s* at the maximum wide-angle position and approximately 0.75 s* at the maximum telephoto position. *Measured in accordance with CIPA standards, subject brightness measuring 10 LV, programmed auto exposure, Single AF autofocus mode.
4. An electronic viewfinder with eye sensor that automatically changes the shooting method in accordance with conditions
The P900 is equipped with a 0.2-in., approximately 921k-dot electronic viewfinder with frame coverage of approximately 100%. Adoption of an eye sensor enables automatic switching from monitor framing to framing using the electronic viewfinder by simply bringing the camera up to the eye. The shooting (framing) method can also be changed manually by pressing the camera's monitor button.
5. 3.0", approximately 921k-dot vari-angle TFT LCD monitor that supports imaging expression from a variety of angles
The P900 is equipped with a 3-inch vari-angle TFT LCD monitor with wide viewing angle. The sharp and clear LCD monitor consumes very little power, and is equipped with an anti-reflection coating and 5-level brightness adjustment function for superior visibility while framing or playing back images, or viewing camera menus, even when out-of-doors on bright, sunny days.
6. A more accurate GPS function that enables recording of location data with shooting GPS, GLONASS, QZSS support
In addition to GPS (with A-GPS*) and Global Navigation Satellite System (GLONASS) support, the P900 also supports the Quasi-Zenith Satellite System (QZSS). This enables faster and more accurate recording of shooting location data (latitude and longitude) with images, even in places where positioning was previously difficult, such as between buildings. In addition, support for A-GPS* files enables immediate GPS positioning as soon as the camera is turned on. *A function that calculates GPS signal acquired by the camera and data (EE data: Extended Ephemeris data) that predicts GPS satellite location for faster positioning.
GPS that supports display of points of interest (POI)*
The P900 supports display of points of interest (POI)* for adding the names of places where photos are taken to images captured with the camera. In addition, shooting location data acquired with the high-performance GPS/GLONASS/QZSS function, along with the direction in which the camera is pointed recorded using the built-in electronic compass, can also be recorded with images and displayed on a world map* in the camera monitor. *Map and point of interest (POI) information current as of April 2014.
When the log function is enabled, the route of movement is recorded even when the camera is not in use or is turned off. This function is convenient for recording a log of movement while climbing mountains or on vacation.
7. NFC support for simple Wi-Fi connection to a smart device*
The P900 is equipped with an NFC function that makes connecting to a smart device via Wi-Fi easy by simply touching the camera to the smart device. This allows users to immediately transfer images they have just captured to a smart device from which they can be posted to SNSs for sharing with family and friends, even when away from home. In addition, the camera's Wi-Fi button makes Wi-Fi connection even easier when smart devices not equipped with NFC are used. Smart devices can also be used to take pictures remotely, zoom in or out, and enable the self-timer, capabilities that are convenient when taking group photos in which the user is included. *The Wireless Mobile Utility app must first be installed on the smart device (the app can be downloaded free of charge from the smart device's app store). *Supported only by devices running Android 4.0 or later.
8. Superior operation that supports comfortable shooting
• A Snap-back Zoom button that makes framing subjects easier by temporarily expanding the angle of view when a subject is lost with super-telephoto shooting
• A Side Zoom Control that significantly reduces camera shake with zoom operations
• An Fn (function) button to which frequently used functions can be assigned
• A Command Dial and Mode Dial that can be used to quickly apply or adjust settings with just one hand
• Manual (spot), Manual (normal), and Manual (wide) AF Area Mode options that can be selected in accordance with the size and position of the primary subject
• A Zoom Microphone function that is linked to optical zoom operation with movie recording, enabling clear recording of sounds over a wide area at wide-angle zoom positions, or over a limited area at telephoto zoom positions
9. Additional Features
• Four exposure modes - P, S, A, M - for more flexible and enjoyable photographic expression
• A Peaking function that supports more precise focusing when MF (manual focus) is used
• COOLPIX Picture Control, which can be used to adjust aspects such as the vividness of colors, the level of contrast, or the degree of sharpening applied to images prior to shooting
• Recording of smooth 1920 x 1080/60p movies with stereo sound
• A Time-lapse Movie function that records changes in landscapes that occur over time as movie approximately 10 s in length
• An elegant body with a precision design that makes the world of super-telephoto photography more familiar
• High-speed continuous shooting* of up to approximately 7 shots at approximately 7 fps at an Image Quality setting of Normal
*At a setting of Continuous H; with Image Quality set to Normal and Image Size set to 16M (4608x3456).
Sensor type: CMOS
Sensor size: 1/2.3 inch
Resolution: 4608 x 3456
Optical zoom (x): 83
Focal length (tele): 2000
Focal length (wide): 24
Image stabilisation: Lens Shift
Max aperture (tele): 6.5
Max aperture (wide): 2.8
Minimum focus distance: 1cm
Shutter speed max: 1/4000
Shutter speed min: 1
ISO min: 100
ISO max: 1600
Exposure control: Programmed auto exposure with flexible program, shutter-priority auto, aperture-priority auto, manual, exposure bracketing, exposure compensation (–2.0 EV – +2.0 EV in steps of 1/3 EV)
Exposure modes: Matrix, centre-wegihted, spot
Viewfinder type: Electronic Viewfinder
Screen size (inches): 3.0
Screen resolution (pixels): 9201000
Flash metering: In steps of 1/3 EV in the range between –2 and +2 EV
Flash type: TTL auto flash with monitor preflashes
Movie mode: 4608 x 3456
Face detection Technology: Yes
Card format: SD/SDHC/SDXC
File formats: JPEG/MOV
Connectivity: Wi-Fi, HDMI, Micro USB
Battery model: EN-EL23
Size: 129.5 x 103.2 x 137.4mm
Weight (g): 899