The Sony A7R IV mirrorless camera features an impressive 61MP full-frame sensor, making it the highest resolution camera in its class on release. The newly developed sensor is back-illuminated and offers up to 15-stops of dynamic range. The A7R IV also features the same pixel-shift multi-shooting mode as found in the A7 III, creating stunning 240MP images. Other features include a 5.76 million dot UXGA OLED viewfinder, 567 phase-detect AF points, and real-time iAF tracking for both humans and animals.
- A brand new back-illuminated 35mm full-frame 61MP image sensor – a world's first
- The A7R IV rivals medium format image quality while retaining the Alpha series form factor
- 15-stop of enhanced dynamic range
- 5-axis Optical In-Body Image Stabilisation
- Superior AF performance: 567 phase-detection points, covering 74% of the frame
- Real-time tracking iAF for both humans and animals
- Built for video: Full sensor width capture, oversampled 6K for 4K capture, touch tracking, Slog2/3 for 14-stops of dynamic range, as well as Hybrid Log Gamma
- Real-time iAF tracking for video – a first for Sony
- Digital audio interface in camera – another first for Sony
- A reliable professional tool: Dual UHS-II slots, refined focus control, 5.76mil dot OLED, redesigned grip based on user feedback, improved sealing, 2.4+5GHz WiFi,
- 5.76 million dot UXGA OLED viewfinder
- USB-C connector
A New Level of Image Quality
The new Alpha 7R IV features a newly developed 35mm full-frame back illuminated CMOS image sensor with a resolution of 61.0 MP, the world’s first of its kind. The new sensor’s back-illuminated structure and effective noise reduction techniques combine to deliver extremely low-noise, high sensitivity performance ensuring the absolute maximum image quality. The camera also boasts an impressive 15-stops if dynamic range at low sensitivities, resulting in smooth natural gradations ranging from deep shadows to highlights, and utilises algorithms from many of the latest Alpha™ cameras to maintain outstanding colour reproduction.
Shooting and Focusing Speed
The innovative new Alpha 7R IV full-frame mirrorless camera can shoot full resolution images at up to 10 fps with continuous, accurate AF/AE tracking for up to approximately 7 seconds in full-frame, full-resolution mode (JPEG / RAW), and approx. 3x seconds in APS-C crop mode delivering 26.2MPii images. These high-speed options ensure that fast moving subjects can be captured with extreme accuracy and incredible image detail.
The upgraded focusing system of the Alpha 7R IV is comprised of 567 focal-plane phase-detection AF points that cover approximately 74% of the image area. There are also 425 contrast AF points that add extra precision and reliability for low light and other situations that are best served by contrast AF. The higher AF sensor density and refined tracking algorithms of the new camera produce a notable improvement in tracking performance, allowing complex subject motion and sudden subject movements to be reliably tracked with greater precision than ever.
High-resolution 4K and Professional Filmmaking Features
In addition to its impressive still image capabilities, the new Alpha 7R IV performs exceptionally well as a serious filmmaking tool, offering 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video recording and full pixel readout without pixel binning in Super 35mm mode. This ensures high-quality 4K footage with exceptional detail and depth. S-Log 2 and S-Log 3 are also available to maximize colour grading flexibility, with S-Log 3 offering a total of 14-stops of dynamic range. HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) is also available on the Alpha 7R IV to support an Instant HDR workflow.
Enhanced Build, Design and Customisability
To maximise durability, the new Alpha 7R IV features upgraded dust and moisture resistance, with additional sealing provided at all body seams, the battery compartment cover and media slots. The camera is built with an extremely lightweight and durable magnesium alloy, and has an upgraded six screw, extra-firm mount.